Relevance of Social Bookmarking in 2012 and till the End of the World
Okey, first thing first. The objective of this post is not to preach social bookmarking is the greatest social marketing tool in internet marketing history! And no, we are not talking about the end of the world; I thought that would help me get the best of your attention 🙂
Let’s move on to the topic. We all have gone through the process of bookmarking our favorite sites on our browsers, then advancing on to social bookmarking where we started bookmarking, tagging and sharing sites on social platforms. Now we use social networks and more advanced tools like Pinterest.
I have got a question for all internet marketers. Aren’t we all trying to increase the traffic to our sites? Traffic which is relevant to our sites/blogs and business? If that’s the case should we ignore some tools just because they are a bit old? Because they are not the #trending ones? Or because they are not as good as they used to be?
Whatever is your answer, another question in your mind right now would be about the ROI. What is the ROI one can expect from social bookmarking? Let’s address that question now.
ROI from Social Bookmarking can come in two forms:
a) Increased Traffic
b) Increased Rankings
Some popular social bookmarking sites still do deliver plenty of traffic if your story is interesting enough to get voted up. There have been instances of many sites’ servers crashing because of not being able to handle the load of such traffic! However, that said, this won’t necessarily happen with every submission of yours but if you’ve invested enough in your content, there is some chance for it.
The other benefit of increased rankings is a possibility because there are a few social bookmarking sites that give out do-follow seo-friendly links for every submission. This is a neat way to garner some links to your article/blog post and over time such links could help to a certain extent in strengthening your domain authority.
So coming back to ROI, it’s up to you to decide what the ROI of those two benefits would be to you but as far as costs are concerned, it comes down to how much time you invest in your content and then going ahead and registering on the relevant social bookmarking sites and submitting your story to them. Alternatively, you could use a service like ours where we research and write quality content for you or if you have existing content, then you could have us submit those to the popular social bookmarking sites out there.
There are few things though that you need to be aware of before you start your social bookmarking campaigns especially after the recent updates such as Panda and Penguin. You may ignore the rest of the post if you are a Social Maximizer user, because we take care of these for you already 🙂
For all the others, make sure you or your social bookmarking service provider follow these guidelines. At Social Maximizer, our workflow is already fine-tuned to meet the following criteria.
- First thing. Your content should be interesting. No point in submitting not so great content to hundreds of bookmarking sites.
- Submit your sites/blog posts only to bookmarking sites which are indexed and cached regularly.
- Make sure you are not submitting to multiple social bookmarking sites which are hosted on a single ip address.
- Submit manually. Don’t use automated tools which do not care a thing for quality. Social bookmarking is effective only if you submit to most relevant categories, using proper tags, titles and descriptions.
- Use more titles and descriptions. Don’t use the same titles and descriptions for all your social bookmarking. For example, if you are submitting to 100 social bookmarking sites, try using at least 4 to 5 various titles and descriptions.
- Write your titles and descriptions keeping in mind the readers more than the search engines
- Submit to social bookmarking sites regularly. For example, whenever you write a new blog post, make it a practice to submit it to 100 or 200 bookmarking sites.
So now that you have all the information you need to promote your content, it’s time you got started!
Got any comments/suggestions/feedback? Sound them off below.