6 Tactics That Will Make Your Site Super Popular In Social Bookmarking Sites
How easy would it be if all our blogs, websites, and articles were of the “celebrity status” and we could just sit back and watch the swelling traffic to them! Unfortunately as such is not the case, so we mere mortals have to do a bit of a “age old slogging” to see that swell in the traffic to our website. Now how do we go about the ‘slogging’? One of the many ways of attracting traffic is Social Bookmarking.
Before going into the other intricacies of Social Bookmarking, let me quickly take you through what Social Bookmarking is. Social bookmarking can very simply be explained as a method where Internet users store and share their favorite online pages. As a marketing tool, it’s the aspect of publicly sharing bookmarks that can generate traffic to a blog/website.
Making an article or for that matter a website or a blog popular using Social Bookmarking can be done as follows:
1. Content: Providing fresh and unique content is the most important aspect of gaining popularity in Social Bookmarking. The content has to be worth sharing, in order to get the interest of others, share your best stuff. Remember in a Social Bookmarking site “Content is King”, always.
2. Attractive Titles: The title/headline used in bookmarking your story can play a crucial role in determining the popularity of your listing. It has to immediately capture the interest of the reader. E.g., this post on Digg has got 1140 votes, the title of the article is ‘7 Completely Unrealistic Movie Plots (That Came True)’, another popular article was ‘Want to fool Apple’s App Store? Plant an Easter Egg’. These titles are interesting and will make the reader want to read the article as well. It is also recommended to use humor in your titles wherever possible.
3. Tags: Tagging your article in with the correct keywords is very important in Social Bookmarking. Tags can help categorize the web pages or articles making it easier for others to find topics of their interest easily under a relevant tag.
4.Ease of Access: If someone likes your article, you would not want him or her to wonder, “How do I save it?” Make it easy for readers to bookmark your content. This can be done by having the various bookmarking tabs, such as Digg, StumbleUpon, reddit, twitter etc. below the article. You can download such toolbars from various sites like sharethis.com
5. Understanding the Trend: If you’re going to be writing for the sole purpose of trying to get loads of traffic from a particular social media site, then it may be worth your while to research the topics/headlines that have made it to the top on those sites. The research done will help you understand the kind of content/topics that interest the members of that community.
6. Network: Almost every public bookmarking/news site has a system of adding friends and sharing stories with them. The larger your network of mutual friends online, the higher the chances of your content doing better because your friends are more likely to find and vote for your stories than others. To build a large network does take time and it will require you to constantly participate in the community by bookmarking other useful stories, not belonging to you, voting on others’ stories and commenting on those stories.
All said and done, as long as you’re not trying to spam the bookmarking sites with irrelevant and useless content and do participate on these sites with some amount of genuine interest, you will see some results. If you want to see great results, then you’d have to follow some of the guidelines above and spend more time on these sites. There might be more than just these points but these will definitely give you a headstart. If you have any other points to add to this list, do feel free to make these suggestions by commenting below.