How to Convert Websites Visitors into Facebook Likes with Facebook’s Social PluginsGeneral, Internet Marketing, Marketing, Social MediaSocial Media MarketingSocial Networking, Social Networks, Traffic Building
The Facebook Like button is perhaps the most widely used website widget across the web. It is used on millions of websites around the world and it’s become integrated into the way we browse the web and share interesting content we come across with our friends and contacts. Because of how actions figure in Facebook’s Open Graph, it’s become more important now to use the Facebook Like button across your website than it was before.
Facebook’s Like Button
Facebook’s Like button is the quickest way for people to share content with their social contacts. A single click of the button will ‘like’ pieces of content on the web and share them on Facebook.
How to get the code for your Like button
To get the code for your Like button, fill in the following:
- URL to Like
- Layout of the button
- Width and
- Action type
The Facebook Like button comes in 4 different layouts: standard, box count, button count and button. Facebook also allows two action type options for the Like button: Like or Recommend.
Next you need to check or uncheck the following two boxes:
- Show Friends’ Faces
- Include Share Button
With all the above information specified, click Get Code.
In addition to the settings above, you can also change other things about your Like button. We’ll discuss three.
- colorscheme: The color scheme used by the plugin can be light or dark. The default is light.
- href: This is the absolute URL of the page that will be liked.
- kid-directed-site: If your website is directed to children under 13, you must enable this. The default is false.
A Quick Q&A
Is it better to display the Like button on its own or use the Like and Share buttons together?
The difference between the two options will probably answer this question for you. The Facebook Like button lets people post links to Facebook with a single click. The Share button on the other hand allows users to add a personal message and customize what they are sharing before posting. In most cases, it’s better to include both buttons on your website and allow people to decide how they want to share your content.
Can you display the Share button without the Like button?
Of course you can. To do so, follow this link https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/share-button/ instead of the one above.
How can you optimize your website for social sharing?
Facebook’s social plugins can drive powerful word of mouth traffic to your website. Here is a quick checklist to optimize your website for sharing on Facebook.
– Display both the Like and Share buttons on your website pages giving people the choice to add a personalized message before sharing your content or post links to Facebook with a single click.
– Use images that are at least 1200×630 pixels. Images that are at least 1200×630 pixels display great previews of your content.
– Use the right Open Graph tags to allow the Facebook Crawler to generate better previews when your content is shared on Facebook.
– Use the Facebook debug tool to check the Open Graph tags on your website.
– Track the success of your content with Facebook’s Insights tool. This will aim you in the right direction in understanding the demographics of who is sharing and engaging with your content and how you can further optimize sharing on Facebook.
– Facebook can support 70+ languages. Use this built-in translation support to show plugins in different languages
Facebook’s Like Box
The Facebook Like Box is roughly a special version of the Facebook Like Button. It is designed for Facebook Pages and allows admins to promote their Pages and embed a simple feed of content from a Page into other sites.
How to get the code for your Like Box
Fill in the following information:
- Facebook Page URL
- Color scheme
Next, check or uncheck the following boxes:
- Show Friends’ Faces
- Show Posts
- Show Header
- Show Border
Click Get Code
With that said, you can still use the regular Like button with your Facebook Page. This can be particularly useful if you need a more compact layout on your website than the Like Box allows for. Remember that the Like Box is designed only for Facebook Pages. For any other purposes, you should use the Like Button.