FAQs on Social Bookmarking
1. What is Social Bookmarking?
Social bookmarking can very simply be explained as a method where internet users can store, organize and manage their bookmarks (sites of their interest) on a public bookmarking site instead of their computers. Not only that, they can also share their bookmarks with their friends or a network of people. Social bookmarking makes the task of saving sites for future reference much easier and more accessible.
2. Advantages of Social Bookmarking
The main advantage of bookmarking a site is the Increase in Traffic. Social Bookmarking sites are used by millions of people around the world and by bookmarking your sites/your blog posts with them, you automatically get access to the large volume of traffic coming to these sites. All you need to do is have your pages bookmarked with the various Social Bookmarking sites and if the content is good then people will surely save and share it with others. As your bookmark is tagged by others or as more people vote, its popularity rises and it moves to the front pages of the category or site. This leads to an increase in traffic.
3. How does our Service work?
Please click here and check the ‘How It Works’ section to get a better idea.
4. What does a bookmark look like?
Here is a link to a page on the popular bookmarking site, Delicious, where you can view the bookmarks of a particular user: sample bookmarks on Delicious. Another type of site where people don’t necessarily save sites as bookmarks but share interesting stories, is Digg.com, a popular social news site. We submit to a combination of social bookmark and social news sites [difference between social bookmarking and social news sites].
5. Are these submissions made manually or through an automated process?
All the submissions are made manually by our highly-trained team of submitters. Prior to beginning the order, each site undergoes a review process. In this step our editors check the details of the submitted webpage to make sure they are free from any sort of errors and also write instructions for our submitters to follow while making the submissions to the Bookmarking sites.
6. How do I check where my site has been submitted, do I get a report?
Yes, you are provided with a detailed report on your submissions, which shows you the details of the submissions made along with a link of the final bookmarked url. You are also given an option to download this Report onto an Excel Spreadsheet.
To access this report, you’d need to:
- Login to your account
- Click on the ‘View Reports’ icon
- You’d then be taken to the section where you can view the reports of all the sites that you’ve submitted to till date
- Click on the webpage for which you’d like to view the report
- The details of the Social Bookmarks made for that webpage will be displayed below on the same page
7. Do you give an invoice for the order?
We give you an invoice for every order placed. You can view the invoices by clicking on the View Invoice icon in your account page.
8. How would I know if my bookmark has become popular?
The popularity of a bookmark is determined by the number of users that have bookmarked a link publicly. Next to each bookmark, you will see a number which shows how many people have saved it, shared it or voted for it. If the number is high then it indicates that the your web-page has become popular.
The numbers in the above image by the side of the Bookmarks, (148 & 220) indicate the popularity of the respective bookmarks, the latter being the more popular one!
9. Does it improve your rank with major search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN ?
As your bookmark is shared & voted by more, the traffic to your site increases. As a consequence of the popularity, some people might decide to link to you therefore getting you links to your site, which can help with improving your rankings. You also get links from the bookmarking sites themselves. A few of these links can also help to some extent in improving your rankings.
10. What are titles and descriptions in Social Bookmarking and are they important?
Titles are of the utmost importance in Social Bookmarking because it determines whether the bookmark is going to be popular or not. The title is displayed as the headline of your listing, and has to be enticing enough to get the attention of the reader to make him want to read more. You need a title that is captivating enough to encourage people to click through to your site. Avoid the use of too much exclamation or something too promotional. A good title is one that will tell someone what your page is about and yet be interesting enough for them to want to read more.
A description is a short, yet informative paragraph describing the contents of the page being submitted in brief. It should essentially generate interest and encourage people to click through to the site. Avoid excessive exclamations, promotional text or sales language in the description.
11. Why write more titles for my bookmarking submissions?
There are a couple of advantages to having more than a single title for your submissions.
1. Since it’s the title that ultimately becomes the headline of your listing, having variety can increase the chances of at least one of the titles working better than the others and resulting in more traffic.
2. The other perspective is from the SEO point of view, which comes into place for all those social bookmarking sites that give SEO-friendly links. By varying your titles and descriptions, you can target more keywords thereby getting more link diversity, and better rankings for those terms. We allow you the option of entering up to 5 titles and descriptions, which we will then submit in equal proportions.
12. What are Tags / Keywords?
A tag is a descriptive word used to categorize your post. The biggest advantage of Tags are, unlike categories, which are limited to a certain number, you can make up and post as many Tags that you think are appropriate to your web page. Tags are helpful to other users when exploring your public bookmarks.
Ex: you can associate all your fitness related bookmarks with the tag “fitness”, “health”, “gym”, so on and so forth. If any of your friends want more information on this topic, they can simply come to your bookmarks and check out all the sites under these tags.
13. What pages of my site can be promoted?
You can submit any page of your site or blog when it comes to Social Bookmarking, web pages which have newsworthy, interesting content are likely to work. In fact, that is the specialty of Social Bookmarking. You could just bookmark a particular article or story on your site. It isn’t necessary to submit your whole site.
14. Do I need to register with Social Bookmarking sites?
No, you needn’t worry about spending your precious time in going to each of the Social Bookmarking sites and registering with them. All you need to do is add your web-page that you’d like to promote through our service, and we will do the rest. We have our own accounts at Social Maximizer, which we will be using for the submissions.
15. Do I need to set up a blog first?
No, social bookmarking is not only for blogs. You can submit any web page from your site or blog for bookmarking. In fact, you can even submit a particular article from your site. We recommend submitting the page which is most interesting & has most information. Submit the page which will help you most in customer conversion.
16. How long will the order take to be completed?
The submissions should be completed within 7-9 working days from the date of the order. We can also handle orders on a quicker turnaround basis, if required.
17. How do I change my URL if I have entered it incorrectly?
You cannot change the URL from the Edit Site section. Please send us a mail about this issue and we will see what can be done.
18. Can u remove the links already submitted?
We cannot change, delete or edit the links that already been submitted to the social bookmarking sites.
19. Tips to make your article popular in Social Bookmarking sites.
Please click here to get tips on making your article popular on Social Bookmarking sites.
20. How do I make a payment?
Once you’ve selected your submission options and are ready to pay for your order, you can choose from either of the two available options, PayPal or 2Checkout.
- On clicking the PayPal button, you will be taken onto the secure servers of PayPal.If you have a PayPal account, login to it with your email address and password, review your order and click the “Pay Now” button to complete the payment.If you don’t have a PayPal account or have never used PayPal before, click on the “Continue” link as seen in the picture below:
On clicking this “Continue” link, you’ll be taken to a page where you’ll be required to fill in your Credit Card details along with other important information and then proceed to complete your payment.
After the payment has been made, you will be brought back to Social Maximizer where you would receive a ‘Transaction Complete’ message.
- On clicking the ‘Pay by Credit Card’ button, you will be taken onto the secure servers of 2Checkout.com, our authorized vendor for payments by credit card. Out there, you’d need to review your order details & enter your billing and credit card information, once done, click on the ‘Checkout’ button and complete the payment. You will then be brought back to Social Maximizer, where you will receive a ‘Transaction Complete’ message.
21. What are your payment methods?
We accept payments through PayPal and 2CheckOut.
22. Are my Payment details stored by you?
We do not process payments directly from our site. All payments are processed on the secure servers of PayPal and 2Checkout respectively and not on our site. The minute you click on either of the payment buttons, you’re taken onto the respective payment gateway’s secure servers and brought back to our site only once you’ve completed all the payment formalities. As such, we do not even have access to your payment details, leave alone storing it.
23. How secure is your payment process?
All payments are processed on the secure servers of PayPal and 2Checkout respectively and not on our site. The minute you click on either of the payment buttons, you’re taken onto the respective payment gateway’s secure servers and brought back to our site only once you’ve completed all the payment formalities.
24. Is it a one-time payment or recurring payment?
All payments you make are one-time non-recurring payments.
25. How is a Social Bookmarking site different from a Social News site?
Please click here to read about the differences.
26. How is Social Bookmarking related to SEO?
The common objective between the two is to increase traffic to your site/blog.
- On submitting your webpages to the Social Bookmarking Sites, you can expect to have people viewing and visiting your bookmark. As your bookmark becomes more popular and rises to the front pages of the category or the site, it would not only lead to more traffic but also create an opportunity where others might directly link to you from their sites. More links = better rankings!
- Some social bookmarking sites link out with search engine friendly links. You could use this opportunity to target various key terms in your titles and get great diversity in your backlink profile.
- Get deep links to inner pages of your site.
28. How can I select a list of favorites?
Let me tell you how you can select a list of your favorite bookmarking sites:
- To create a list of favorites on Social Maximizer, you need to first go to your Submit Site page and select the site you want to place an order for.
- You will then see the three submission options below.
- Click on the third option.
- All the bookmarking sites we have in our list will appear below.
- You need to choose at least 20 favorites. You will see a small link on the right hand side saying ‘Show PageRank Information. Please click on that link to have this information displayed
- After selecting your favorites, you need to name the list and save it for future use. This section will appear below the list
- You can then proceed with the order as usual.
27. Can I submit foreign language sites?
I’m sorry but we do not accept foreign language sites for social bookmarking.
28. Can I submit Gambling sites?
I’m sorry but we do not accept Gambling sites for social bookmarking.
29. Can I submit Adult sites?
We do not accept Adult sites for social bookmarking.