A Complete Guide to Marketing on Google+
Posted on July 16, 2014
Filed Under Brand Building, Content Marketing Strategy, General, Google+, Internet Marketing, Marketing, Social Media, Social Media Marketing, Social Networking, Social Networks, Traffic Building
Launched in June 2011 by search engine giant Google Inc., Google+ is a social networking service with 300 million+ in-stream active users. It integrates numerous Google services, including Google Profiles. Most notably the social network, also referred to simply as G+, allows users to group their contacts into Circles, enabling members to sort their contacts into specific categories. This in turn allows users to tailor posts and send them to specific social groups.
Google+ Quick Facts
- 22% of online adults use Google+
- 42% use the social network to interact with brands’ content
- 70% of top brands use Google+
- Google+ refers the most traffic per visit: 2.45 pages
- Google+ generates nearly as much engagement per follower as the social media giant Facebook
- Google+ generates twice as much engagement as Twitter
Clearly Google+ is the next big thing.
Marketing on Google+
1. Perfect your Profile
Getting on Google+ is like setting up your home in a new, exciting metropolis. To get yourself known, you will need to go out and meet the neighbors. Google+ was launched in June 2011 so your neighbors have been having a street party for quite some time now.
– Set up your profile with a clear photo of your face and a creative or exciting image as the cover photo to visually represent your brand. In case of a business, you can also showcase your brand personality with a company logo.
– Link your Google+ page to your site. The use of Google+ badges is subject to the Google+ Platform Buttons Policy. Because Google+ pages, profiles and communities are different, Google offers slightly different versions of the badges, which you can read about here.
– To find people to whom you relate, use hashtags to search people with similar interests. You can then add these people into your circles.
2. Create and Manage Circles
Circles make it easy to share the right things with the right people. To start out with, Google+ gives you a few circles but you can also create new circles for even more flexibility. On Google+, you can shout, speak or whisper. You can share as broadly or narrowly as you want. If you have something to say that the world needs to hear, choose “Public.” To keep your message to a specific group, choose one of your circles.
3. Get Involved and Be Active
No matter what you’re into, there are people on Google+ who share your interests. Search for public communities around the topics you’re passionate. This is a great way to meet new people and join conversations.
There are lots of ways to share with your communities. Post beautiful photos and videos, plan events, or even have face-to-face discussions using Hangouts.
– Only share your own stuff
– Just post links and photos without describing them
– Share the same post multiple times
You can also create real-world groups of people like your basketball buddies and fellow classmates. It’s simple: If you find yourself sharing regularly among the same group of people, communities are a fast and fun way to stay in touch more easily.
Content Marketing on Google+
Right now there is an opportunity for everyone to build his or her global network using Google+. Google+ can amplify your business messages i.e. your content and create:
– Engagement on posts themselves
– Social traffic to your website
– And Traffic to your website that comes from Google Search.
This not only increases your business reach and impact, it creates business.
About Google Authorship
Google Authorship is a way to link content you create with a Google+ profile, which provides benefits such as your head shot image appearing next to your content in Google’s search results.
– Make sure that you have a profile photo with a recognizable head shot.
– Make sure that a byline containing your name appears on each page of your content
– Make sure that your byline name matches the name on your Google+ profile.
– Verify that you have an email address on the same domain as your content.
The Process of Content Marketing on Google+
Using Google+ you have some excellent ways to listen to conversations that matter to you.
– Decide on themes and topics
There is no point in forcing content that your audience will simply not relate to.
– Create content
Create the best content that you can with the resources you have available. The content can be text, it can include images and/or videos, you can consider hangouts on air or it can be a PDF that you push.
– Promote content
So, you’ve created your content. Next you want people to know it exists. Google+ is the perfect place to spread the word.
– Measure and evaluate
To know how well your content marketing strategy is doing, Google+ is a handy tool for direct measurement on posts but you will need to use Google Analytics (and the likes) to measure your performance once people have ‘clicked a link’.
On Google+ you have some brilliant tools that make re-purposing easy to do. Check out the following video for more information: